About Me

My photo
I am a fun loving mom and wife to my wonderful husband, Ted. We were married 25 years ago in 1985. I saw him, and I picked him up. He was wearing a tag that read "AS IS, No Refunds or Returns". I fell in ♥ love and took him home! We have five...count 'em FIVE sons that are going to make some amazing husbands one day! That's because I am trying to teach them the necessities of life and preparing them for the "push" out of the nest when they will learn to fly on their own. Of course, they might not think it's such a great idea to be pushed, until they realize what it is like to SOAR on your own strength! I work at home and maintain my BLOG space as best and regularly as I can! My passion in life is to be a listening ear and gentle answer to those who have been beat up, disillusioned, torn down and tossed away in life. I know the pains that life and other people's choices can bring you, and I also know what you need to "pick you up" when you feel hopeless!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

...will we EVER get back?

"There's NO place like home...there's NO place like home...there's..."

Where IS home? I'm lost... Amazing how things can change in the blink of an eye. I wish I had some ruby slippers to click the heels together and they would instantly bring me home... *sigh* this could be a longer post, the updates are numerous!

We got our keys the evening of 3/25, and promptly moved everything from our "temporary home" in St. Michael. We were thrilled to finally be IN! Slept the night on air mattresses and awoke early to meet our helpers at the storage unit. Arriving at 9:30, and viewing all that our storage unit held (remember, we moved from 6,500 square feet of house to this storage unit - it was packed TO THE ROOF!) I expected a very long day...and it was windy and cold. The kind of cold that pierces your fingers until they go numb.


We are so blessed. I was amazed as every few minutes up drove ANOTHER vehicle, with additional helpers or trailers to lend a helping hand. I really didn't know quite what to expect, but it's incredible when God's hands (the people who love us) reach out and start to do their work! We had 17 people there. We loaded, laughed, and locked... as the last trailer pulled away from the EMPTY storage, I glanced at the clock. It was not quite 10:30! These incredible people had completely packed everything in just shy of one hour!

I was overwhelmed with emotion-Ted could not be there, and it was so hard. He kept calling to check in, but we were busy and I couldn't talk. I was confused with all the details that Ted normally took care of, but was directed to "stand here, and tell everyone where things go!" It worked amazingly!

As you can see in the pictures, 6,500 square feet of "STUFF" doesn't quite FIT into 2700 square feet, so now the task of finding "a place for everything and everything in it's place".






Two days later, at 2 a.m., the phone rang...it was Ted, he didn't sound so good. "I'm hurt...", "WHAT?!" I immediately sat up and shook myself awake.

Most of you know by now, that he fell from a four foot pipe at work when he missed the ladder. 275 lbs of body all landing on one foot (or ankle, as it were). The doctor had determined it was just a sprain and once he could pee in a cup (to prove he was not "under the influence") he could take the weekend off for Easter, but to return to work on Monday for "light duty" at 10%.

While home for Easter, enjoying the wonderful view of the lake (recovery is ALWAYS better with a lake, right?) We watched his leg turn a rainbow of colors...blue and purple the most prominent. Even to his toes, that were blue halfway up to the tips. Those of us watching were convinced that there must be MORE than what we'd been told. We learned that there was probably two "hairline fractures" in the ankle and when he returned he would be seeing the doc again.

He dreaded the long 9 hour drive back to KS, but took James with him to be his nurse. (an EXCELLENT choice, I might add!) Went straight to work, and was MISERABLE. One WEEK after the fall, the doc was ready to admit that he felt more comfortable referring Ted to an Orthopedic surgeon to make the final call. He prescribed some pain meds (FINALLY) and sent him back to work. Ted was sooooo discouraged, because they were saying he would not be returning home to heal, they had plenty of "light duty" to keep him working through the end of summer.

The next call was a different tone. The wonderful Ortho "knows his stuff" and hadn't even x-rayed before he said "you must be in a lot of pain?" Ted said "YES!" Doc said he would NEVER have allowed him to make the drive home (let alone twice) because of the risk of blood clots. By now, his leg was incredibly black and blue. Doc said to do another x-ray, but that he KNEW there was another break just below his knee. He also said, you will NOT be working or putting ANY weight on this for 8 weeks...to which Ted promptly shed tears. He KNEW the pain was worse than what they were saying before! Doc x-rayed and said "Get your wife here for surgery, ASAP!"

Surgery was Monday - today is Wednesday (TWO WEEKS since the injury occurred). Surgery took 2 hours. They gave Ted a "block" in his leg that was to help the pain for 24 hours after he awoke. I was given x-rays to keep, that showed what was done. Screws, straps, brackets...all in the ankle to help cinch the bones together so that the fracture below the knee could heal naturally. Now we wait. Follow up will be on Monday afternoon... it's a lonnnnnng stay in a hotel room. Thankful for the pool, hottub, and a vast array of restaurants to choose from for each meal. Getting tired of eating out...and wondering just what the heck workman's comp is for... We have yet to hear again from them since the diagnosis has changed from a sprain to, now, the need for surgery and screws. He's MISERABLE. Poor baby :( ...and I feel so helpless to do anything for him!

Still about a week of hotel living...

I close my eyes, and imagine myself in Judy Garland's ruby slippers...

"There's no place like home...there's no place like home...
there's no place..."

1 comment:

  1. Be sure to get something from the doctor saying that Ted has metal in his body because metal detectors will be able to pick it up at airports and other places. Like Wal-Mart?
    Hope Ted's doing better. Most pain shortly after surgery. Just hang on.

    ReplyDelete